2 C (approximately 10) mini sweet peppers, assorted colors
6 oz. lean ground turkey or beef
2-3 T. taco seasonings, sugar free
1/4 C .chopped fresh mushrooms
1/4 C. chopped green onions
1 Large egg, slightly beaten
Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare sweet peppers by cutting off the tops and cutting in half lengthwise. Clean out membrane and seeds.
- Spray mist olive oil on a baking sheet; transfer peppers to baking sheet cut side up. Spray mist the peppers lightly with olive oil. Roast 10-12 minutes.
- When finished roasting, remove from oven and set pan aside. Turn oven temp down to 350 degrees.
- Meanwhile, preheat a skillet sprayed with olive oil over medium/medium high heat. Add ground turkey or beef, taco seasoning, mushrooms and green onions. Brown meat and vegetables together, stirring to cook through. Drain off any fat; set meat mixture aside.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat one large egg. Transfer egg to a vessel that has a pour spout. (I used a measuring cup that has one)
- Fill the pepper halves with the meat and vegetable mixture, stuffing them as neatly as possible.
- Pour the beaten egg slowly over each stuffed pepper, filling each on as much as possible. I gently moved the meat around with a fork to get the egg into the pepper halves.
- Bake 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with more taco seasoning and/or salt before serving.
Servings: 8oz.lean protein (6oz.lean beef+2oz.whole egg) +2C veggies.
TIP: Mini sweet peppers are usually sold in a bag in the produce area in red, orange and yellow colors. They are not hot, but mildly peppery like bell peppers.